Monday, October 15, 2007

Top 10 Reasons....

Okay, I couldn't resist any longer. I know top ten lists can be pretty lame but after this weekend I decided I couldn't resist. We went to a parade in town over the weekend kicking off one of many fall festivals and that is where I decided I was going to put together this list. So, without further ado.......


Top 10 Reasons you know you are living in the South!!!!

10. More Churches per square mile than people. Okay, maybe not that many but the whole bible belt thing could not be more accurate. And Andrea, you beat me to the punch with the church marquee thing you did.....dirty!!

9. All of the wildlife......lying dead on the side of the road. We have seen more opossums, squirrels, raccoons, ground hogs, deer, dogs, cats...........lying on the side of the road than we have alive (maybe not the dogs and cats). It's kind of disturbing. Here's a joke Andrew told us: Q: Where are opossums born? A: On the side of the road dead! I actually think there is some truth to that!

8. You can't go a whole day without getting bit by something! Whether it's mosquitoes, chiggers, yellow jackets, wasps, ticks, fire ants, or any other creepy crawly critter, I don't think any of us have come home unscathed from the little monsters. Carson stepped on a fire ant hill and got tore up pretty good. I've been stung by a yellow jacket. And Daneen has had critters crawl on her at night. And we all come home with the mosquito bites. Gotta love it!!!

7. One of the biggest events of the year is the annual Sorghum Festival at Fort Sorghum! My first thought was "What the heck is sorghum?". Just in case your curious......

6. Confederate Memorial Day and Robert E. Lee’s Birthday are paid state holidays. I didn’t know this till I tried to go get a shot at the county health clinic and they were closed in observance of Confederate Memorial Day. Good stuff!!

5. The "what did you say?" accents!
I thought I was starting to get the hang of interpreting most peoples accents but today I found out that I still don't have a clue. I asked a gas station attendant where the Flying J was. He told me it was at the "recycling fed ex".......at least that's what I understood him to say. He actually said the Resaca-LaFayette Exit!!!! Where is The Yankee's Guide to Southern Accents when you need it?

4. One of your co-workers tells you about the time when he was asked to join the clan (yes, that clan) as a young man!
Had to try hard to keep my eyes from bulging out of my head when he told me that!! Don’t worry, he told them no and he is a great guy to work with.

3. When your church holds a fish fry in place of a church thanksgiving dinner. Don't ask!!! But your all welcome to come and have thanksgiving fish with us.

2. The biggest response at the parade we went to was for this float. Long live the bars and stars!!!!!

Gotta Love those Sons of Confederate Veterans!!


1. When a business proudly displays something like this!



Hope you enjoyed!

-paul

5 comments:

andrea said...

Oh....Em.....Geee....

Wow, it's amazing the difference when you're just one state further South. Thanks for sharing your hilarious real-life Southern experiences.

Anonymous said...

But Andrea, are you certain that there aren't towns in NC that are similar? After all, you guys are pretty cosmopolitan in the big city of Greensboro.

That was pretty funny Paul. Good job.

Paul-N-Daneen said...

There are plenty of towns like that in NC. Probably all of western NC, the part we are close to. Geez Andi, get out of the big city once in a while..... hehe

-paul

andrea said...

Ok, ok. I admit when we drive to the beach through the small towns, we do see more of the Union Jack's flying. I'm a city girl now. What can I say?

Phoenix Girlfriends said...

Daneen...its your turn for the CLOCK! Force your ward enrichment ladies to do it...it cost a total of $32 for that sucker. If they don't, a threat always works. JK. :) But seriously, our ward LOVED it...it was easy...just need wood, paint, crackle, and the vinal (spelling?) letters (plus the actual clock stuff like...you know the hands are good).