Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Swimming Lessons

Okay, I decided that it is my turn to "blog" about something. Last week was a busy week for us so we have lots to talk about. We signed Carson up for a week of swimming lessons last week at the local public swimming pool. It was the mom(or dad)/kiddie lesson where the instructor never gets in the pool. She just stands at the edge telling everyone what to do. Well, Daneen thought it would be a good idea if the both of us got in on the action so I went with Carson the first two days, she went the next two days, and Carson chose me to go with him on the last day. Man, I felt lucky.....
Daneen and I were both worried about how Carson would react to the whole swimming lessons idea and he did not disappoint!! I think he left scratch marks on my back from where he was gripping onto me so tightly. I don't know how many times he said it but one of his favorite phrases throughout the week long lessons was "I'm gonna drown". Bless his little heart. He screamed so much the first two days (of course the days I'm in the pool with him) that I felt like I needed to get my hearing checked. Of course, when mom gets in the pool with him he was like a little angel....sort of. He still had his moments of course but to me I could see a night and day difference in him with Daneen in the pool. He actually seemed to have some fun. Go figure.
By the end of the week he had made some great progress. He can stick his head almost all the way under the water to get a dive stick. He can actually go across the pool on a kick board (with mom or dad helping of course) without screaming his head off. And he conquered his biggest fear, jumping in. He can now jump to mom and dad without having to hold someones hand. Let me tell you, that was a big step!!!
We are going to try and take him swimming as much as we can before it gets to cold here so he doesn't forget all that he learned. Hopefully we can get him in some swimming lessons again next summer so he will be ready to raise some havoc with his cousins next time he gets out to AZ or over to NC. Here are some pics, enjoy!

-Paul


Definitely not hanging on for dear life....


Actually trying for Mom


Becoming a daredevil?


Perfecting the "shoot, flip, and pull" technique


Enjoying the noodle with Dad!


Calling it a day

1 comments:

andrea said...

Those pics of him jumping in are awesome. I'm glad it turned out to be a good experience in the end and that you guys hung in there through a couple of rough days. Can't wait to see you soon!